Pages

12 October 2019

25 September Baltimore arts


The tourist information centre set me up with free buses and gallery guides for a day of arty indulgence. They also have a post office counter but the two women who were manning the counter the day I was there were woefully uninformed about completing any transaction more complicated than selling a local stamp. I had an envelope to send to the UK for which the selection of most appropriate service and the costs took a quarter of an hour and would have been longer if I hadn't checked on the internet. Bless. They tried.
My trip out to the Museum of Art was easier and I was soon absorbing their collection of Impressionist art. Like the Met in NY Baltimore also has a copy of Degas' little dancer. After Degas' death 69 copies were cast they are in museums and private collections.
Degas' Little Dancer

Baltiimore art gallery



Washington memorial









Peabody library reading room
After paintings I hopped the bus back to original centre of Baltimore which sits atop a hill amongst the vast spread of university faculties. The Washington monument, a towering column with Washington on top looks over the George Peabody Library with it's collection of 7,000 old books, America's first cathedral and the Walters Art Museum.
Baltimore basilica
The Walters Art Museum houses the personal collection of a father and son who made their money distilling and selling whiskey. The eclectic collection ranges from medieval religious artefacts, paintings and now extends to include contemporary pieces.
carved crystal rock

oculus













It was a lovely afternoon so a opted to walk back to the waterfront instead of catching the bus except took a wrong turning and found myself in a sketchy part of town. Plenty of people hanging out around the department of Social Services. But I've lived in London where walk tall, walk with purpose and don't make eye contact is a standard, ie act like a local and not a tourist. I probably wasn't in a vulnerable place; it was an unknown place. Especially after David had read me the fact that Baltimore has one of the highest murder rates...
Back in familiar city centre I slowed the pace and walked back to the dinghy dock for David to pick me up

No comments:

Post a Comment