Pages

10 October 2010

Monday 4 October Snorkelling the Coral Garden

Coral Garden with Anthem in foreground
The main attraction of anchorage 16 is one can snorkel an area called the Coral Garden. It's only possible to reach the coral garden at high tide because there is a shallow reef between it and the anchorage which you can either swim over, or take a kayak over. We swam, timing our swim between the waves breaking onto it from the seaward side. We were rewarded with the healthiest coral we've seen since Fakarava in the Tuamotus. Pristine hard corals and colourful soft corals of many varieties and plenty of fish. It was deep enough to have been a good dive, but not easy to swim over reef in full dive kit.



Swimming under a breaker
The swim back over the reef was interesting. I watched and waited for a lull in the breakers, ascertained where there's be the deepest water and struck out. The first breaker surrounded my with foaming bubbles. I turned to see the next wave coming my way so head down and I kick for home and the deep water on the inside. All OK for me but David was turned over by the first wave and it took his mask off. He completed the distance to the beach in Olympic qualifying time. I wonder is he looked back to see if I was with him or just knew I float well and swim like a tadpole?

No comments:

Post a Comment